Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Who ya gonna call?

About 12 years ago, I moved into an apartment that I was convinced was haunted. For the first few months I lived there, every couple of nights, I would wake up with the feeling that someone was in the room with me. They would sit on top of the covers and I’d be unable to move. It would last a few minutes, or a seeming eternity.
At first, I was terrified. But then, it felt soothing as this “ghost” sat on my bed and rubbed my back.
It eventually stopped and I moved, leaving the ghost behind.

Doing some research, it seems what I experienced is known as sleep paralysis. Looking back, it stopped when my addiction to sleeping pills started. About a year ago, I experienced it again. But, this time I knew the cause. I had taken too much 5htp and couldn’t get out of REM sleep. It wore off, my normal sleep patterns (lousy as they are) returned.

That is until this past August. Starting with a housesitting gig and continuing when I moved into my new house, I’m experiencing it all over again. Except this time, the “ghost” isn’t rubbing my back, but rather trying to steal my soul. I’ve had four really intense episodes, which left me wide awake for hours waiting for the dawn. I try to explain it rationally away when it happens, but it’s scary and nightmarish. I feel a bit like I’m cracking up, and not in the usual wendyrella way.

So, if I start asking if you are the gatekeeper, call Bill Murray please.

No comments: