Thursday, September 14, 2006

Beyond Beliefs

We didn’t have cable. Just crazy bad network TV. Which was ok with him because he only really watched PBS and Discovery anyway. One night I let him in on my secret interest. I kept apologizing, he told me he liked it. A few days later, I was in the kitchen when I heard him say to my roommate, “Watch this.”

Him:“Hey sweetie, can you come in here?”
I walked in to see a woman talking on the television. There was no name under her.
Him: “Honey, who is that?”
Me: “Elaine Pagels. I love her.”
Him to my roommate: “I told you she would know. isn’t that cute? She has a favorite biblical historian that she can recognize on sight.”

I miss him. More than I thought I would. More than I should. But I was most real with him, more real than I’ve been with anyone in a while. And he was more influential than anyone probably knows, or that I would have guessed when we first got together. he’s why I’m in educational boot camp now, doing it with both feet in it. I’ve said it before, but being a grown-up is hard. It’s all about timing and maturity. And finding someone that you can let in on your dirty little secrets.

No comments: